6.7.11

Gend... WHAT??

So there was this "IUS" (International Undergraduate Symposium) going on in the faculty which I decided to join. After hard work, my friend put this video together to use in my presentation. My topic was "On the Nurture of Gender".
"What counts as a person? What counts as a coherent gender? […] Whose world is legitimized as real? Subjectively I ask: Who can I become in a world where the meanings and limits of the subject are set out in advance for me? By what norms am I constrained as I begin to ask what I may become? What happens when I begin to become that for which there is no place in the given regime of truth?"
- Judith Butler



The presentation turned out great, better than I expected indeed.

- The bottom line is that gender is specifically everything but what’s between our legs. It’s only the constructed ideals of it that makes it a boundary. In fact, within society, these are often unseen yet accepted without question, as they are a part of everyday societal norms. The more we continue to promote and sustain these gender categories, the further we stray from possible liberation. One’s personal identity should ever be limited with ‘becoming gendered’ and standardized; thus there should be no such term for it does not adequately capture the complexities of how one sees themselves and the prespecified thoughts societies have upon them. Therefore I can proudly say that we all are human beings; before we are “masculine” gender or “feminine” gender, we are human. Why not have “human” traits, rather than “boy traits” or “girl traits”?

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder